Saturday, January 13, 2007

Amen brother.

I go out of town for medical care
To the editor:
I have been following this LifePoint fiasco since it bought Danville Regional Medical Center. I always thought we had a very good hospital. Unfortunately, I don’t think that now. I read the letter that Coy Harville wrote and I agree 100 percent.
I think if these good ole’ boys were smart, they would hire Harville as their CEO. He seems to recognize that Danville has a problem with LifePoint. According to the Danville Region Web Blog, their current CEO is the fourth in six months. Apparently, there have been several changes in senior management. The chief operating officer is the third since the acquisition and chief finance officer is the second.Why can’t LifePoint keep its senior management?
But that is only just a small problem with LifePoint. There are many more cumbersome problems affecting the hospital, and the nurses and staff are paying for most of them. There is strong discontent running rampant at Danville Regional, and I think our community leaders need to be aware of it. Where are our community leaders? This problem has been boiling over since LifePoint took the hospital and I think Mayor Wayne Williams and Danville City Council needs to look into it. The defeatist way the nurses and staff operate is crippling not only the hospital, but the community as a whole. I think there is more work heaped on the nurses and proper patient care is out the window. From what I have heard, Most of the staff work with an antiquated system that went out in the 1980s and they have received more hours, smaller staffs, regression in equipment and caveman technology.
It is an absolute shame what LifePoint has done to our hospital. We have lost good doctors, nurses and quality care. What Danville has is a CEO with a bigger paycheck. It looks like LifePoint is all about the money and not the needs of the community.
This community needs a good quality hospital like it used to have. It does not need a corporation that disregards the care of its employees or its community. It is unfortunate now that if I want quality care, I need to go out of town.

MICHAEL from Danville

No comments: